-

Monday, August 24, 2009

Ear Tubes, Hospitals and What If's...





All the Hams were up bright and early this morning in order to have Ethan at the hospital at 7 am. The kids actually did a great job and the fact that we enticed them with breakfast out at the hospital helped a lot! I must say its pretty sad that even our kids know what to order at the Hospital Cafeteria and what to stay away from because in the last 5 months we have ate at the hospital more times than I would have ever thought.

We checked in at 7 and didn't officially get registered until 8 and than more waiting....Jake of course entertained himself with the DS and Anna Claire, Gracie and Chris walked the hospital - Anna Claire was especially thrilled with going up and down the escalator.

Walking into the hospital always brings back so many memories..the smells, the familiar doctors and nurses and yes even the cafeteria. I remember that long day back in March when his surgery that was supposed to take 3 hours took 7 and when the Anesthesiologist came out to tell us that he had to be put on a vent - my biggest fear. I wonder how long it takes before I can walk back into a hospital and not have my stomach drop to my feet and my head spin with all of the unknowns.

Last night as I laid in bed and thought about the last year and the many challenges and blessings we have had with Ethan, I couldn't help but go to a really dark place - the world of "What Ifs"...What if something goes wrong during this routine surgery? He has come so far and what if during this very easy surgery he stops breathing or his heart goes into SVT...what if, what if, what if. And than it hit me, oh my gosh, I didn't take any pictures tonight of him. So I thought to myself "just in case" I better take some in the morning. I hate those dark places that us Moms go to ....so I prayed and thanked God for the wonderful husband and the health of our family and asked him to put his hands on the doctors and anesthesiologist hands and protect our Sweet Ethan...and he did...

Ethan is doing great other than a little fussy but that is to be expected. This evening, I have lots to be thankful for and tonight when I lay my children down to bed and we say our prayers we will thank God for our outcome today and pray for all of the other children who are faced with health problems and whose Moms and Dads lay in bed tonight in that dark place in the land of "what ifs"...

Here are some pictures of today....

My early morning "What If" picture


Jake waiting and playing DS


The girls lovin on him after he got home

Sweet Ethan....before the Motrin wore off :)

Now I'm off to find some more Motrin....

2 comments:

Erin Wallace said...

You have such a beautiful family Laura and you are an inspiration to me! Little Ethan is always in my prayers, as are you and the rest of your family. God is wonderful and has blessed you so!

Laura aka Mama Ham said...

Thanks Erin, I sure do miss you :)

Save Babies From Premature Birth