-

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

And I cried...

So, after Ethan's big surgery (you know the one he had at 3 months when they repaired his kidney obstruction, gave him blood transfusions and revived him not once but twice) we came to the realization that Ethan not only had some medical issues we were going to have to deal with but he had some developmental challenges.  I remember laying in bed one night, crying for what could have been, for what should have been and what wasn't going to be.  I feel asleep that night praying that God would give me an answer.  I prayed for his guidance and help.  The next morning I set out to find help and as he always does, God led me right where I needed to be....

I still remember the day that his "team" came to our home for the first time.  So, I was slightly overprotective, OK, really I was way overprotective.  I remember thinking to myself that I have had 3 kids, do I really need someone to come to my home and tell ME how to help my own kid. Ha!  Well, the truth is, I did.  Dealing with a child with Special Needs is like being a 1st time Mom all over again.  I had lost all self confidence in my Mama Skills.  I couldn't help my child do simple things like lift his head, roll over, eat, crawl or stand.  I was lost.








Until I let Mrs. Vicki, his Occupational Therapist into his life. Once I got over the fact that I needed help, that is. She made me feel confident again, she answered all my questions, gave me ideas about how to help Ethan and always treated him with so much love and kindness. Even when he wasn't "feelin" it. I'm not sure how I would have gotten through 18 months without her. 


Ethan is transitioning to Physical Therapy and today was Mrs. Vicki's last visit with Ethan.  And I cried...yep, sure did. But I wasn't crying for what could have been, for what should have been and what wasn't going to be. I cried because I'm gonna miss her, I cried for all that he has accomplished and I cried because I know in my heart God has sent her to our family to help us so that I could become this confident Mama again...


Thank you from the bottom of my heart...



Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:

Save Babies From Premature Birth